Change
  1. Hello gorgeous!
    Thanks for looking around the WAPS forum. Why not sign up and make your voice heard. Registering is quick, easy and FREE.

2. Go mobile
    Did you know you can download an app for your smartphone to access our forum on the go? Search for 'Tapatalk' on the App Store. Tapatalk is available for iPhone, Android and Blackberry.

Download the mobile forum app

PWL Hit Factory - your top 10 PWL songs

Discussion in 'Chart chat and lists' started by H.T., 9 Jul 2012.

1. H.T. Member

Message Count:
    PWL Hit Factory show this week I think plus greatest hits out (or out soon). They've written and/or produced so many classics that a greatest hits was always going to be uninspiring - too much missing. But you can't have a greatest hits with 200 songs on it! What would your top 10 be? I know v difficult to restrict to that number but have a go. If a song is not so well known then add a link if you can be bothered.

Here's mine

1 Spin me Round - Dead or Alive
    2 Better the Devil You Know - Kylie
    3 I Heard a Rumour - Bananarama
    4 This Time I Know It's For Real - Donna Summer
    5 I Don't Believe in Miracles - Sinitta
    6 Magic Holiday - Cherry (see link)
    7 All Of Me - Sabrina
    8 Nothing's Gonna Stop Me Now - Sam Fox
    9 You Think You're a Man - Divine (also vid link as it's so fabulous)
    10 Turn it Into Love - Kylie
    James likes this.
  2. James New Member

Message Count:
    Oh my actual god! Someone else who loves Magic Holiday! I love trashy disco like that. Spagna's I Wanna Be Your Wife is another big fave.

Can't really rank my favourite PWL tunes in order of preference (depends what mood I'm in) but I can certainly give you my favourite 10:

Who's Leaving Who -- Hazell Dean
    What Do I Have To Do -- Kylie Minogue
    If I Have To Stand Alone -- Lonnie Gordon (See video)
    Symptoms Of True Love (PWL Remix) -- Tracie Spencer (see video)
    The Harder I Try -- Brother Beyond
    You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) -- Dead or Alive
    Go Go Now -- The Marines (see video)
    One For Sorrow -- Steps
    Breakaway -- Donna Summer
    What A Night -- Dolly Dots (see video)

BONUS TRACK (didn't make the top 10 but still amazing)

Last edited by James, 10 Jul 2012
    H.T. likes this.
  3. H.T. Member

Message Count:
    Another Night is a great bonus track. Apparently he fell out with his label as he felt it was too Abba (I think he was trying to be rocky)
    So I can have a bonus track! She can't sing but I just loved it!
  4. andymc35 New Member

Message Count:
    Great topic! Like James, I don't know if I can rank them but here are my ten favourites:

Samantha Fox - Nothing's Gonna Stop Me Now
    Divine - You Think You're A Man
    Donna Summer - This Time I Know It's For Real
    The Three Degrees - The Heaven I Need
    Bananarama - Love In The First Degree
    Kylie Minogue - Better The Devil You Know
    Laura Branigan - Shattered Glass
    La Toya Jackson - (Ain't Nobody Loves You) Like I Do
    Jason Donovan - Too Many Broken Hearts
    Hazell Dean - Whatever I Do (Wherever I Go)
    Cliff Richard - I Just Don't Have The Heart

Ok, that's 11 but I couldn't force myself to take one out. The list could go on and on though!
    H.T. likes this.
  5. H.T. Member

Message Count:
    Thanks for posting - great list! As you say, there's just so many. I haven't heard the La Toya one so I'll check it out
  6. andymc35 New Member

Message Count:
    I'm a bit of a devotee of Toy -the underdog of the Jackson family. Her voice is not the best but she deserved better material from SAW - still the combination did produce three decent tracks.
  7. H.T. Member

Message Count:
    OMG, I didn't know she did any with them. And there was me thinking I was a PWL know it all! Wasn't mad on her as apart from Michael she was the biggest liar about her surgery plus, because she never had a successful career she always seemed to be grubbing around for cash. Frankly Michael or Janet should have given her a few mill and she wouldn't have needed to make up her silly stories. She sang Wanna be Starting Something great on Celeb BB - just like Michael. Can't deny she's got talent
  8. silvan Administrator

Message Count:
    I bought that 30 years of Bananarama best of - the SAW tracks are the best by far! Maybe they should record a few new tracks with them? It's not like their career is going anywhere. Did love their cameo on Benidorm though!

Who of you is Banana?
    H.T. likes this.
  9. H.T. Member

Message Count:
    Their SAW songs were far and away their best songs. Unfortunately they loathe Pete Waterman and he loathes them. Their earlier producers Swain and Jolley (names very likely to be wrong) who did Imagination also fell out with them. It was as if they borrowed a sound and then acted as if it was their's. I dunno, I'm probably talking bollox. I loved the way they didn't give a shit and couldn't sing and they did at least 5 all time classic SAW. The blonde one (Sarah???) realy doesn't give a shit and on those 80s tours she just stands there miming badly - cool!!!!
  10. Gavin Scott New Member

Message Count:
    Here's my top 10 SAW songs:

1. What Do I Have To Do - Kylie Minogue
    2. I Want You Back - Bananarama
    3. Venus - Bananarama
    4. You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) - Dead Or Alive
    5. I Don't Wanna Get Hurt - Donna Summer
    6. Take Me To Your Heart - Rick Astley
    7. Wouldn't Change A Thing - Kylie Minogue
    8. Especially For You - Kylie Minogue/Jason Donovan
    9. Respectable - Mel & Kim
    10. This Time I Know It's For Real - Donna Summer

I actually posted my top 100 SAW singles on my blog back when the Hit Factory Live concert was meant to take place. Here's the link to the first part for anyone who's interested:

http://chartbeat.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/best-of-hit-factory-part-one.html

And part two:

http://chartbeat.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/best-of-hit-factory-part-two.html
    H.T. likes this.
  11. H.T. Member

Message Count:
    Ooh I love lists so thank you! I'd be here all year to comment on all of it but quite a few I'd never heard of. I love finding new SAW. Only 2 quick comments. Totally agree that album version of What do I have to do is miles better than single. There's extended album version on itunes but no doubt you have it. And I Don't believe in miracles isn't in top 100! Its a classic. Her Wicked album is full of top songs. I'll get round to next 100 asap!
  12. Gavin Scott New Member

Message Count:
    Hey, glad you enjoyed! Miracles is at #76 (part 2 is #41-100). I love Wicked too - lots of great songs by the other PWL writers and producers. I should compile a list of my favourite non-SAW PWL stuff at some point!
    H.T. likes this.
  13. H.T. Member

Message Count:
    Ah sorry I missed it, I was probably trying to think of all the clever things I could say ( "did you know Pete Burns was lead singer of Delage? No I mean Dead and Live")and at the first mention of Hazel Dean I rushed to put my Hazel playlist on. I'm playing Love Pains and Are You man Enough all the time at the moment. Talking of Hazel, it brought back memories of seeing her at GAY or whatever it was called then. She did a couple of tracks and then said "people have said Hazel Dean is over. Well Hazel Dean would like to just say to those people, Turn it into love by Hazel Dean is this week at number 21 in the pop charts! Lets make it number 1. Hit it!" or very similar words which had me laughing for a good 10 minutes. I met her when she was promoting her Abba album at a much smaller club in 93 or something and she was lovely. So the GAY was a sorry one off. I'll look at your other lists tomorrow when I'm not quite so drunk